There's Something to be Said about Atmosphere

 As the weather continues to cool off, I find myself exploring more of the slower roads in the Hudson Valley, trying to minimize the windchill with both thicker leathers and lower speeds. I took a beautiful ride heading west on NY-28, out past the Woodstock Harley Davidson dealership, through the towns of Boiceville, Ashokan and Shandaken and even just beyond the giant kaleidoscope at Emerson Lodge (it’s worth the stop, if you’re wondering). Just as my fingers were beginning to ache from the cold wind creeping through the ancient leather stitching of my gloves, I turned off toward Phoenicia, a quaint little town that is actually well worth the visit. Of course, this wasn’t by accident. I had an appointment.


What brought me out to Phoenicia was a haircut. Sure, I could’ve gone anywhere. There must be half a dozen barber shops in every city around the valley and at least a few per small town, each with their own unique take on what you’ll see around you while you take the slow spin of the barber’s chair. There’s a shop for every person and a person for every shop. As a motorcyclist, Freebird Barber & Goods, at 60 Main St in Phoenicia, is the place to be. The accents are subtle, nothing that distinctly establishes it as a biker’s barbershop, but it is a very cool place, run by a very cool woman named Sam. There’s a small sized poster on the wall from the classic motorcycle infused series Along Came Bronson, autographed by none other than Martin Sheen himself. The paint scheme has the deep blues and burnt reds that almost transport you back to the days of kickstarters and leaky shovelheads. All the while, the speakers keep kicking out era appropriate tunes from CCR, Alice Cooper and the like.


As the proprietor cleaned up my coif, she regaled me with tales of her days slinging drinks at a biker bar where she would sometimes drive a well sodden patron home in his sidecar so he would have his bike the next day or her more recent adventures hunting and fishing the local fields and streams. Between her own stories, she would listen patiently as I prattled on about whatever fresh goings on are taking up my days. It was the kind of easy back and forth that you have with old friends that can always pick up right where they left off. 


I left the establishment with instructions on some of the great local establishments in Phoenicia to visit as well, but that’ll have to wait until my next trim. I know I’ll be back, because I’ve found my new place. The ride there and back is perfect. I mean, seriously; nothing is out of the way when you own a motorcycle. It’s a two wheeled machine built for exploration and every excuse to travel somewhere is a good excuse. 

So why do I write about a barbershop in a motorcycling blog? Because Freebird is just that kind of a place. You don’t need to see exhaust pipes and old racing tanks hanging on the wall to feel at home after climbing off your own cycle. Sometimes, there’s just something to be said for a subtle bit of atmosphere.


Comments

Popular Posts