Enough Winter Already!

 I’ve spent plenty of time living in southern states, on both coasts, where winter is only a reprieve from the brutal heat of the more equatorial summers. This does help to maintain year round riding and for that, I miss living on the other side of the permafrost. Unfortunately for my varied tastes, I love cool and even cold weather just as much as I love motorcycles, which has brought me back up to Yankee territory. I guess I can’t have my cake and eat it, too, despite my best efforts.


Living in the Hudson Valley means at least a quarter of the year is spent with minimal time on two wheels, and much of that is just low speed local cruises to give this motor junkie enough of a fix to get through until spring arrives. Thankfully, the past few weeks have provided a few quick shots of temps in the high 50s and low 60s, just enough to get the engine up to speed so I can feel some wind resistance. After some heavy rainfall did the duty of pushing rock, rubble and street salts to the far sides of those long white lines, we were gifted with just enough sunshine to bring out bikes from all over the area. It seemed like I barely had enough time to clutch between two fingered waves to bikes of all makes and riders of all ages.

Spring is in the air, but that doesn’t mean it’s here to stay, as most Hudson Valley residents can attest. Too often, we think we’re in the clear only to get hit with a midMarch snow storm, dumping enough powder to block out driveways and cancel schools. Not that it’ll stay for long when it does give a late season visit, but by now, I’m sure we’re all in agreement that winter has overstayed its welcome. 

I have started seeing all of the adverts for upcoming spring and summer rides populating my social media feeds and I've got to say, I am damned excited to get this motor a-rollin’!


Comments

Popular Posts